10-week project period, Paid Internship
Getty Multicultural Undergraduate Internship Program
The Getty Foundation has offered funding to more than 90 Los Angeles-area museums and visual arts organizations for Multicultural Undergraduate Internships during summer 2017. The internships are intended for outstanding students who are members of groups underrepresented in museums and visual arts organizations, including but not limited to individuals of African American, Asian, Latino/Hispanic, Native American, and Pacific Islander descent. For additional information on The Getty Foundation, the Multicultural Undergraduate Internship Program, eligibility requirements, and for a complete list of all the internships offered this summer, visit The Getty Foundation website at http://www.getty.edu/foundation.
Duration: This internship is ten weeks in duration
Hours per week: 40 hours (8 hours per day)
Stipend: $5,000 for a ten-week period
LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes seeks an energetic and detail-oriented Curatorial Intern passionate about Los Angeles, Mexican, and Mexican American history, art, and culture to assist the Curatorial department with reinterpreting content in one of its core exhibitions, The View From Here: Architecture as Witness to History. The intern will be responsible for spearheading a re-interpretation of this space, including: conducting research, drafting copy, identifying objects, developing object labels, and brainstorming a visitor interactive. Other projects include assisting with the development of a temporary art exhibition on the identity formation in the work of Gilbert ‘Magu’ Luján. The intern will also be expected to support the Curatorial department with daily assignments, as well as work with the Education team to facilitate student tours and educational workshops. By working across departments and with all levels of museum staff, the intern will have a hands-on opportunity to gain an in-depth understanding of museum operations, while exercising and building communication skills, developing cultural awareness, and establishing professional contacts.
The ideal internship candidate will be a passionate and energetic individual with the following interests and abilities:
· Interest/knowledge of Mexican and Mexican American history and culture in Los Angeles
· An interest in site-specific history and interpretation
· Some experience conducting object-specific research
· Ability and willingness to interact with visitors of all ages (including large school groups)
· Computer, research, writing, and verbal communication skills
· Highly motivated and positive team player
· Bilingual, English/Spanish highly desired, but not required
· Excellent organizational and time management skills
· Desire to serve the local community
Per the eligibility requirements of the Getty Multicultural Undergraduate Internship Program, applicants must:
· Be of a group underrepresented in museums and visual arts organizations, including, but not limited to, individuals of African American, Asian, Latino, Native American, or Pacific Islander descent
· Be currently enrolled undergraduates. Students must have completed at least one semester of college by June 2017. Students graduating in May or June 2017 are also eligible to apply
· Reside or attend college in Los Angeles County; and
· Be a United States citizen or permanent resident
How to Apply
Applications are accepted through April 28, 2017. To apply, please submit a résumé and cover letter.
Cover letter should outline interest in position and how this opportunity aligns to future professional and academic goals. Finalists will be asked to provide two writing samples demonstrating writing and research skills.
Email applications to:
Gina A. López Ramos
Curator of Education
LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes
501 North Main Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012