10-week project period, Paid Internship
Getty Multicultural Undergraduate Internship Program
The Getty Foundation has offered funding to more than 90 Los Angeles-area museums and visual arts organizations for Multicultural Undergraduate Internships during summer 2017. The internships are intended for outstanding students who are members of groups underrepresented in museums and visual arts organizations, including but not limited to individuals of African American, Asian, Latino/Hispanic, Native American, and Pacific Islander descent. For additional information on The Getty Foundation, the Multicultural Undergraduate Internship Program, eligibility requirements, and for a complete list of all the internships offered this summer, visit The Getty Foundation website at http://www.getty.edu/foundation.
Duration: This internship is ten weeks in duration
Hours per week: 40 hours (8 hours per day)
Stipend: $5,000 for a ten-week period
LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes seeks an energetic intern passionate about Los Angeles, Mexican, and Mexican American history, art, and culture to assist the Education department with developing interpretative tour experiences and art workshop components for K-12 students tied to its upcoming exhibition, ¡Murales Rebeldes!: Contested Chicana/o Public Art. As part of this project, the intern will also draft an outreach plan for booking student tours for this specific exhibition. In addition to being an integral member of the Education Department and providing day-to-day support to the Education team, the intern will also provide feedback and suggestions for other student tours and workshops. Additional assignments will include assisting with various education initiatives, including teacher training sessions, community outreach, social media campaigns, and public programs. By working across departments and with all levels of museum staff, the intern will have a hands-on opportunity to gain an in-depth understanding of daily museum operations while exercising and building communication skills, developing cultural awareness, and establishing professional contacts.
The ideal internship candidate will be a passionate, energetic, and outgoing individual who demonstrates a high degree of self-initiative, meticulousness, and responsibility.
Ideal candidates will also demonstrate the following interests and abilities:
· Interest/knowledge of Mexican and Mexican American history and culture in Los Angeles
· Interest in public art and art education
· Interest in interpretation and visitor engagement
· Some previous museum experience
· Ability and willingness to interact with visitors of all ages (including large school groups)
· Computer, research, writing, and verbal communication skills
· Highly motivated and positive team player
· Bilingual, English/Spanish highly desired, but not required
· Excellent organizational and time management skills
· Desire to serve the local community
Per the eligibility requirements of the Getty Multicultural Undergraduate Internship Program, applicants must:
· Be of a group underrepresented in museums and visual arts organizations, including, but not limited to, individuals of African American, Asian, Latino, Native American, or Pacific Islander descent
· Be currently enrolled undergraduates. Students must have completed at least one semester of college by June 2017. Students graduating in May or June 2017 are also eligible to apply
· Reside or attend college in Los Angeles County; and
· Be a United States citizen or permanent resident