Reports to: Director of Development and Membership
Status: Regular, Full-Time, Non-Exempt
LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes serves the public by providing educational experiences through public programming and exhibitions that celebrate the rich cultural heritage of Mexicans, Mexican Americans and all Latinos in Southern California. LA Plaza opened to the public in 2011 in two renovated buildings located in the downtown Los Angeles historic core. Established by the County of Los Angeles, LA Plaza operates as a non-profit organization governed by a board of trustees and is funded through the County’s cultural arts program.
The Development Associate is an integral member of the Development Department and responsible for assisting in developing and executing fund-raising strategies for LA Plaza, the new LA Plaza Cocina development and other departmental projects. Initially, the position will focus on fundraising for the organization’s new Mexican teaching kitchen, opening in 2021. Working closely with the Director of Development, this position supports all Development activities, including donor relations, Membership, LA Plaza’s travel program, grant reporting activities, and additional fundraising events. The Development Associate assists in carrying out the development strategy for the organization, identifies prospects for individual, corporate, and foundation gifts, assists with strategies for solicitation, and works to facilitate and steward connections.
Values & Principles:
- Abide by LA Plaza’s policies and procedures and operate with candor, transparency, clear communication, and the highest ethical standards.
- Demonstrate a strong passion for fulfilling the goals of LA Plaza as a representative of the organization with the larger community.
- Committed to learning and understanding the vision and goals of LA Plaza in order to effectively cultivate and maintain donors.
- Committed to learning all products, services, work plans, and metrics of the department and LA Plaza.
- Strive to reach and exceed established personal and professional goals (quarterly and annually.)
- Serve as a team player by working collaboratively with all LA Plaza’s employees.
- Uphold the highest standards of customer service for all LA Plaza’s constituents in terms of speed of response, accuracy, and completeness.
- Assist in executing strategies to identify and secure corporate, foundation, individual, and government partnerships, and develop target prospect lists.
- Associate will cultivate/engage existing donors and prospects which support LA Plaza Cocina and LA Plaza.
- Recognize donors, create personalized correspondence including thank you letters, process donations, and perform regular audits of communication efforts.
- Maintain donor database to ensure accurate and current records.
- Plan, track, and analyze results of development efforts.
- Assist with the annual work plan process, including the collection of data for departmental year-end reports.
- Assist in the promotion and maintenance of the organization’s membership program.
- Prepare reports and presentations for review by CEO and Board trustees.
- Serve as coordinator and staff support for fundraising events, which include dinners, select gatherings, and other events that support LA Plaza.
- Perform and complete any other duties/projects as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function assigned satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Experience: 2+ years in development and/or events planning. Special consideration will be given to candidates with proven fundraising results.
- The position requires a strong understanding of the marketing and business needs of corporations and foundations and must be able to execute revenue generation strategies that addresses these needs in order to reach our fundraising goal.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required. An undergraduate degree in public relations, communications, English or marketing preferred.
- Communication Skills: Ability to cultivate stakeholders via written or verbal communication – strong writing, knowledge of event planning, and presentation skills.
- Technology Skills: Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, email campaign platforms (i.e., MailChimp), and experience using CRM platforms/donor database.
- Project Management Skills: Strong organizational and management skills with attention to detail. Proven track record of achieving revenue targets. Flexibility to work evenings and weekends based on special event schedule.
- Judgment and Discretion: Skill in determining matters of importance and information of use to the director, exercising initiative in accomplishing any related tasks or referring the rest. Ability to refer, give, deny or ask for information in a tactful and friendly manner. Ability to keep information confidential.
- Teamwork & Confidentiality: A self-starter and able to work independently and as a team member. Ability to take initiative and follow tasks through to completion. Ability to work with a team toward LA Plaza’s goals, leveraging each team member’s skill set. Strong ability to maintain the integrity of confidential information. Professional appearance and demeanor.
- Must be available to travel for attending/presenting at offsite events, programs, and meetings.
- Must be flexible for scheduled weekends, extended workdays and occasional overtime.
- Physical requirements include but not limited to standing or sitting for long periods at a time, carrying/lifting up to 30 pounds, climbing stairs, walking to and from adjacent locations, and loading/transporting various collateral or promotion items; setup and strike membership tables for programs and events.
- Work schedule will include outdoors in various weather conditions.
LA Plaza offers a competitive compensation package which includes:
- Salary: $50,000
- Individual health, dental and vision care
- Onsite employee parking lot
- 401K plan (employee funded)
LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter, demonstrating your interest and qualifications, and at least three references to email@example.com