Employment and Volunteer Opportunities
LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes serves the public by providing educational experiences through public programming and exhibitions that celebrate the rich cultural heritage of Mexicans, Mexican Americans and all Latinos in Southern California.
LA Plaza opened to the public in 2011 in two renovated buildings located in the downtown Los Angeles historic core. Established by the County of Los Angeles, LA Plaza operates as a non-profit organization governed by a board of directors and is partially funded through the County’s cultural arts program. LA Plaza is a Smithsonian affiliate museum.
General Scope of Work
Under the supervision of Director of Facilities, Technology, & Security, the Groundskeeper & Facilities Assistant will perform a variety of tasks not limited to facilities and grounds upkeep and maintenance, trash and debris removal, handywork, and event set-up and tear-down.
• Maintain LA Plaza’s Walkway and general grounds on daily basis via general clean-up, disposing trash, removing debris, hosing down or power-washing, etc.
• Patch and paint areas as needed; perform handywork as needed.
• Assist with set-up and tear-down for special events, programs, or rentals.
• Regular inspection of both interior and exterior of campus to trouble-shoot and maintain items such as, leaks, light bulb replacement, climate issues, damages, etc.
• Keep direct supervisor informed of problems and potential hazards so as to correct immediately.
• Good communication skills, bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
• Punctual and good time-keeping when on rest and meal periods.
• Dependable and reliable.
• Ability to take direction and work independently.
• Problem-solving skills and a “can-do” attitude.
• Professional demeanor, neat appearance, and good hygiene.
• Ability to perform the physical requirements of the job, including frequent standing, walking, bending, kneeling, crouching, lifting, pulling, climbing, and carrying minimum 30 pounds.
• Must take all necessary safety precautions when using power tools and equipment, as well as cleaning chemicals, solvents, etc.
• Must be able to work in various climates and weather conditions.
• Must be able to stand for long periods of time
• Regular, full-time– 40 hours per week.
• Schedule and hours may change to accommodate programs and events.
• Occasional overtime may be requested or required.
Reports to: Director of Facilities, Technology, & Security
$35,000.00 per year.
LA Plaza offers a competitive compensation package that includes:
• Free parking.
• 90-day introductory period.
• Direct Deposit, of paycheck.
• Health insurance for employee.
• 401K Retirement Plan.
LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.