The mission of LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes is to celebrate and cultivate an appreciation for the enduring and evolving influence of Mexican and Mexican American culture, with a specific focus upon the unique Mexican American experience in Los Angeles and Southern California.
Through dynamic multidisciplinary programs and interactive exhibitions, LA Plaza offers an engaging path to cultural self-discovery and the appreciation of personal, familial, and community heritage.
Gallery Volunteers serve as stewards of LA Plaza’s mission within exhibitions and create a welcoming atmosphere for visitors of all backgrounds. Gallery Facilitators provide in-gallery support by conversing with visitors about museum content and related history; answering visitor questions about permanent and temporary exhibitions; helping visitors navigate the museum; monitoring galleries for safety; administering surveys; and providing additional information about LA Plaza’s programming, mission, and history as needed.
Volunteers should have a strong interest in serving LA Plaza’s community and demonstrate an ability and willingness to communicate with different audiences. The ideal volunteer will serve as an ambassador to connect LA Plaza’s mission and exhibitions with the local community. Volunteers can expect to become knowledgeable about the history of Latinx communities in Los Angeles and gain museum career experience, if desired. This position will work with the Visitor Services, Education, and Curatorial departments.
• Engage visitors – Welcome and greet visitors throughout exhibition areas. Serve as an interpreter of the museum exhibitions, giving the visitor a deeper understanding and appreciation of the history and art on display by answering visitor questions as they arise.
• Monitor exhibition areas – Keep visitors and objects safe and exhibitions functional by monitoring exhibition spaces and reporting needed repairs.
• Offer wayfinding support – Assist visitors and guests in finding their way to exhibitions, restrooms, meeting rooms, etc.
Eligible candidates include college students and adults passionate about art, education, and/or Mexican and Mexican American history. Gallery Volunteers should display flexibility, cooperation, responsibility, and respect with regards to visitors, museum staff, and their fellow volunteers. Spanish bilingual preferred, but not required. Must be able to complete a Live Scan check.
- Gallery Volunteers are asked to make a minimum commitment of eight hours a month, ideally in two four-hour shifts.
- Shift length is flexible depending on availability and need.
- Flexible hours – M, W, Th, F, Sat, Sun
- Preferred shift availability is during peak visitor hours (12-3 pm on weekdays, 1-4 pm on weekends).
- Training for this position will be provided during a Saturday orientation session.
All volunteers are asked to wear volunteer badge during operating museum hours. Business casual and comfortable shoes recommended. BENEFITS Volunteers are eligible for a complimentary membership to LA Plaza (at the Sepulveda Membership Level) upon completing 60 hours of service.
This includes periodic complimentary tickets to select LA Plaza programs, a 10% discount to LA Tienda (LA Plaza’s museum store), and periodic store giveaways. Volunteers also enjoy convenient access to Downtown LA locations with proximity to Union Station. Free parking is provided to volunteers during their work shift.
How to Apply
If you would like to apply for this position, please submit a current resume and brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Gallery Volunteer.” Resumes are accepted on an ongoing basis.
Interested applicants will be contacted for an interview.
For more information, contact (213) 542-6241.