LA Plaza recently launches its unique volunteer program, Les Navegantes, to connect our visitors with the Latina/o experience and the stories of Los Angeles from the past, present, and future. Les Navegantes lead tours of our lead exhibition, LA Starts Here!, in English and Spanish, stimulating conversations that connect content to audiences of all backgrounds, ages, learning levels, and abilities.
Les Navegantes, who received extensive training, are onsite at LA Plaza on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, with tours in English taking place at 12:30pm and 2pm, and tours in Spanish at 1:30pm. All tours are free.
For more information, call Visitor Services at: (213) 542-6200.
LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes is proud to announce the Les Navegantes program, welcoming volunteers, or Les Navegantes as we call them, to connect our visitors with the Latina/o experience and the stories of Los Angeles from the past, present, and future.
Les Navegantes will lead bilingual tours and conversations that connect content to audiences of all backgrounds, ages, learning levels, and abilities. Formal teaching experience is not required and we welcome anyone from all ages and backgrounds to apply to the program.
Our vision is that our Navegantes invite an inclusive narrative that redefines the history, voices, and shared experiences of Angelenos, and inspires others to reflect and examine the importance of their own heritage.
Les Navegantes Values and Responsibilities
Les Navegantes Values and Responsibilities:
We see our Navegantes as stewards of the values of LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes, which are:
Community is at the heart of LA Plaza. You will build bridges between LA Plaza and Angelenos, representing the enduring presence of Latina/os and celebrating its evolving history from the historical El Pueblo to contemporary culture.
As an ambassador for LA Plaza, you will engage visitors of all backgrounds and promote an awareness and appreciation of the diversity of Los Angeles.
LA Plaza is a place to explore the untold stories and unknown histories of Latina/os and indigenous peoples of Los Angeles; at LA Plaza, you will support opportunities that explore new dialogue and build connections by engaging the visitors’ lived and learned experiences.
Creating mutual respect through equity and inclusivity allows different voices to be heard; at LA Plaza, you will create a welcoming atmosphere that empowers others, invoking a sense of belonging to all our visitors.
At LA Plaza, you will emphasize accessibility for visitors to learn, share, and exchange ideas about the enduring cultural influence of Mexicans, Mexican Americans, and all Latina/os by cultivating a safe and creative space, allowing for open dialogue.
Les Navegantes: Training + Commitment
- A six-week accelerator training session begins in March 2022.
- Navegantes will provide service for a minimum of 2 years.
- A minimum of 15 hours of volunteering per month is required, including one continuing education training session per month.
- Training and continued education will prepare you to give tours, learn content, navigate through challenging conversations, and learn best touring practices.
- Touring will take place Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays between the hours of 1:30 pm and 5 pm
Les Navegantes Benefits
Become an advocate for Los Angeles’ Mexican, Mexican American, Latina/o communities as a Navegante, and:
- Receive a free Pico-level membership.
- Participate in curator-led discussions with every new exhibition at LA Plaza.
- Receive a 20% discount at LA Tienda, LA Plaza’s museum gift store.
- Go on educational field trips to art galleries and other museums for special exhibits.
- Participate in an end-of-the-year Navegante Appreciation event.
- Build connections with educators, artists, and creators from the Los Angeles area.
- Be the first invited to members-only events and special, ticketed events.