La Plaza Campus
The campus of LA Plaza is comprised of the restored Vickrey-Brunswig Building, the adjoining Plaza House, and a two-and-a-half-acre garden. LA Plaza is located in the immediate vicinity of other buildings dating back to the 1800s, some abandoned and later restored and reused. LA Plaza is located within El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historic Monument, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The two-story Plaza House was built in 1883 and the five-story Vickrey-Brunswig Building was built in 1888. It is part of what is known as the Garnier Block.
Built during Los Angeles’ boom period of the 1880s, the buildings were part of a rapid expansion in construction in the area as the Los Angeles population surged due in large part to the arrival of tens of thousands of residents from the Midwest following the completion of the Southern Pacific and Santa Fe railroads.
LA Plaza’s campus also includes a 30,000 square‐foot public garden, which is comprised of an outdoor performance stage with space for up to 5,000 people, the Edible Teaching Garden, and the Culinary Arts Programs.